Wednesday, December 16, 2009

HOA Battle follow-up.

Alright, I called to make my appointment for the hearing scheduled this Friday the 18th at 3:00pm. I spoke with Karen, the HOA manager. She asked what the hearing was in regards to and I explained the notice of hearing I received due to our drip-pan in the driveway. She immediately knew who I was and stated that the hearing had been rescheduled for the month of January, and that notices were mailed out yesterday (I guess I'll get that notice today).

Before I had the opportunity to explain how I had already scheduled time off for Friday the 18th, she mentioned that the notice of hearing does not necessarily mean that they will impose a fine. She explained that the HOA's goal is to gain compliance without having to go as far as imposing a fine.

I explained that since receiving the notice, the drip pan has been stored out of sight. I also explained that my wife is pregnant, and it has been a hardship for her to put the pan in the garage every morning before leaving for work, and that I had forgotten to do so on a few occasions (which I really didn't forget, I just didn't do it because it is a pain in the butt).

Karen stated that there was not going to be another "inspection" until early January, and if the drip-pan was not in the driveway, she would note it in our record that the "issue" has been resolved.

I clarified this by asking if I were not to be at the hearing in January, would there still be the possibility of having a fine imposed?'

Karen assured me that, if during her inspection in January the drip-pan was not left on the driveway she would completely dismiss the hearing, and that if there were not any additional violations within the next 3-6 months (what a funny time frame. In what case is it 3 months, and others 6?), the violation would be removed from our record completely. (Don't do us any favors, right?)

Long story short, I called. I was told not to worry about a fine because I made contact with them and have resolved the issue.

What about the time I scheduled for the hearing on Friday the 18th? The hearing was going to be at 3:00pm, I scheduled to leave work at 2:00pm. Guess what? I'm still leaving work at 2:00pm!

Call me immoral, but I'm taking half a day off. I have worked Mon-Sat for at least 3-4 months out of this year alone. I feel entitled to some extra time. To add to that, we are so short staffed at work that I was unable to take the last 5 of my vacation days off this year! So yeah, I'm leaving early Friday, I'm not justifying it any further, I'm just doing it!

All's well that ends well...

-T

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!